Comments on Wall post by Asia Nowicki

Asia Nowicki

Hi Dror and Cristina,

I have a client, who I will be giving massage to for the third time.

I would like to practice lower limb massage, but am weary as he has lymphedema in one lower leg- the water retention is severe.

I have looked at the massage recommendations for oedema in the pathology book, and it says to work on other parts of the leg first and then manual lymphatic drainage. I don't know what this is exactly, so I'm guessing it's best to avoid this area for now? 

Thanks

• Dror Steiner
    By Dror Steiner

Hi Asia,
    Love this question!
    Let's try to make sense and learn from this situation.
    So, the client has lymphedema and we don't know yet ANYTHING about it. The book gives only incomplete recommendations about what to do and what not to do.

My thoughts are:
    - We need to appreciate that we all beginners, hence there might be some clients we will not treat.
    - we can see that even the book will give incomplete recommendations to massage.
    - First, let's learn more about lymphedema. the course book is good, but I love Youtube. for example, this vidoe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp04BbINLiY
    - I think it will still be good to see this client, prepare some questions about his condition: for example 'why did you develop this condiotion' and 'how does it affect you'. We may find that at the end, we may help him in an indirect ways (such as deep relaxation).

Let us know Asia about it!

• Asia Nowicki
    By Asia Nowicki

Sorry, there seems to be a problem with adding comments!